Posted by Jaya Ramdath on February 28, 2011 at 8:57 am
Last night was the 83rd Academy Awards, giving us glamour, celebration, as well as some interesting happenings with our favorite celebrities. Let’s recap on how everything went…
1. James Franco and Anne Hathaway – B- . In group projects, both students have to put in an equal amount of work and I won’t hesitate to say that Anne is mainly the one responsible for the fact that the grade isn’t lower. I thought she had great energy and was always lively and sweet, and she kept the show alive and moving. James, well, on a positive note, his attitude balanced Anne’s bubbly presence. But, anyone could have just stood there and read the teleprompter. In the middle of the show, one of my friends randomly stated in a moment of realization, “Oh! He’s probably acting that way because he’s nervous-since he’s nominated” to which everyone else immediately responded in unison, “No…that’s how he always is…” Extra points for the pink dress, though!
Speaking of which,
2. Fashion – A-. I thought everyone looked absolutely stunning! From what I saw, hardly anyone was wearing a disastrous outfit. My personal favorite was Hathaway’s first dress on stage-GORGEOUS. I could be wrong but it also seemed that red was the color of the night. The only fashion disaster I can think of was the steady decline in Hathaway’s outfits throughout the show-what in the world was up with that blue dress she wore around the end?
3. Acceptance Speeches – B+. Everyone had nice speeches, and the grade is so high because almost all winners took the time to actually memorize what they would say-”A” for effort! On the other hand, it’s not as high as it could have been because of one speech in particular, by the first winner of the night, Melissa Leo, who cursed, bumbled, paused and stared into space…at best it was cute and candid (I can’t be that mean). Also, I didn’t feel like there were any memorable speeches, the best being Christian Bale’s, especially because of his reference to Leo’s f-bomb in comparison to his past f-bombs (you know what I’m talking about). In terms of best memorized, well, I’d have to go with when Pixar won Best Animated Feature for Toy Story 3. I guess they were really sure they were going to win? (Hahaha was I just funnier than James and Anne?)
4. Presenters – B+. I can’t mention the winners without mentioning the presenters. I do think they were livelier than Franco…I have to say I personally liked Kirk Douglas and the way he tortured those poor actresses by dragging out the announcement of the winner. I thought Helen Mirren and Russell Brand were quite funny, as well as Robert Downey Jr. (SIGH, so beautiful…) and Jude Law.
5. Comedy Factor – B-. Anne was quite cute. Franco was only funny because of how unhappy he looked. I have to say the funniest part of the night was the autotune musical segment. See below for a YouTube clip! Oh, and let’s not forget how funny Hugh Jackman’s expression was during Hathaway’s singing…
6. Surprises – D. I’m being very generous here. The most surprising thing to me was that only two or three winners read their speeches from something. I’m not kidding.
Overall Grade: B-
Congratulations to all the winners!