Breaking–The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Has Begun Filming

Posted by Alia Haddad on September 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

Breaking–The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Has Begun Filming

And, we’re off! Just a mere six months after The Hunger Games‘ so-titled first installment was released in theaters (and even still remains in some theaters) its sequel of a set of three has embarked on filming. Yes that’s right. As a Lionsgate press release has confirmed, as of yesterday, Catching Fire has officially began production. Let’s all celebrate! After all, The Hunger Games managed to do what many before it had failed to do–it started as a young adult book series and became a great, intelligent movie (learn from this Twilight).

Okay, done celebrating? Good, because there’s more: filming is taking place in Atlanta, Georgia for the time being and will eventually move to Hawaii. Got that all you potential extras?

And as if that’s not enough, Lionsgate has also announced a sweepstakes fans of the series like you and me can enter! Want to win a trip to the set to meet the movie’s favorite stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Donald Sutherland, Tony Shaloub, and Lenny Kravitz? Oh good, I’m so happy you asked because now you and 11 other lucky people can! Oh happy day! Check out the full press release below for more information:

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE BEGINS PRODUCTION

Lionsgate Announces Start Of Principal Photography And Set Visit Sweepstakes For Fans

SANTA MONICA, CA (September 10, 2012)- LIONSGATE® (NYSE: LGF), a leading global entertainment company, today announced the start of principal photography on the highly anticipated sequel to the worldwide blockbuster film THE HUNGER GAMES. Beginning today, THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE will shoot primarily in existing locations in and near Atlanta, Georgia. The film will subsequently be shot on location in the beaches and jungles of Hawaii before wrapping in late December, 2012.

THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE will be released worldwide on November 22, 2013, and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Jeffrey Wright, with Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland.

Said Lionsgate’s President of Production Eric Feig, who is overseeing the production on behalf of the studio, “We are so excited to be embarking on this adventure with Francis Lawrence, who has already exhibited immense creative vision and resourcefulness in casting the film and planning its look and feel. The stakes are raised in every way in this second story, and we are thrilled to get the production underway in these perfect locations, with our excellent returning cast and some world class actors in new roles.”

“Lionsgate has been a longtime partner of Georgia’s entertainment industry being the first production company to take advantage of our film tax incentives in 2005. The fact that they are continuing to bring productions including this high profile franchise to Georgia reaffirms their commitment to our talented crew, diverse locations and accessibility,” said Georgia Department of Economic Development Commissioner Chris Cummiskey.

Lionsgate also announces a global set visit sweepstakes. “THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE- Win a Trip to Set” will run September 10th through October 12th 2012, offering twelve lucky fans a chance to visit the set of the film and interact the with cast and crew. To enter, fans based in the participating territories (the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, France, Scandinavia, Russia, Israel, and Japan) will upload a :30 second video of their top question for the film’s cast. Additionally, “virtual” citizens of Panem will be able to enter by playing The Hunger Games Adventures – one of the top adventure games on Facebook and coming soon to iPad. Full rules and regulations are posted on the contest Facebook tab, and at www.catchingfiresweeps.com.

ABOUT THE HUNGER GAMES FRANCHISE
The first installment of THE HUNGER GAMES franchise has already grossed more than $408 million at the North American box office and nearly $700 million at the box office worldwide. THE HUNGER GAMES recently passed HARRY POTTER as the top-selling book series of all time on Amazon, taking into account print and Kindle sales combined. There are more than 50 million copies of THE HUNGER GAMES in print in the U.S. alone.

THE HUNGER GAMES sold an estimated 3.8 million DVD and Blu-ray units in its first weekend of release, continuing the momentum it demonstrated in generating more than $408 million at the North American box office, the 13th highest grossing North American release of all time.

Following the release of THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE on November 22, 2013, the final installments, THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART I, and THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY PART II are scheduled for respective November 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015 releases.

ABOUT THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE
THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE begins as Katniss Everdeen has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark. Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a “Victor’s Tour” of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) – a competition that could change Panem forever.
THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE will be directed by Francis Lawrence, and produced by Nina Jacobson’s Color Force in tandem with producer Jon Kilik. The novel on which the film is based is the second in a trilogy that has over 50 million copies in print in the U.S. alone.

Lionsgate will release THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE on November 22, 2013.

Full information about the film’s cast is available at www.catchingfirecasting.com

ABOUT LIONSGATE
Lionsgate is a leading global entertainment company with a strong and diversified presence in motion picture production and distribution, television programming and syndication, home entertainment, family entertainment, digital distribution, new channel platforms and international distribution and sales. The Company has built a significant television presence in production of primetime cable and broadcast network series, distribution and syndication of programming and an array of channel assets. Lionsgate currently has 23 shows on 16 networks spanning its primetime production, distribution and syndication businesses, including the multiple Emmy Award-winning “Mad Men” and the critically-acclaimed series “Weeds,” “Nurse Jackie” and “Boss,” the new network series “Nashville” and “Next Caller,” the Charlie Sheen sitcom “Anger Management,” the syndication successes “Tyler Perry’s House of Payne,” its spinoff “Meet the Browns,” “The Wendy Williams Show” and “Are We There Yet?” and the upcoming “Orange Is The New Black,” an original series for Netflix.

Its feature film business has been fueled by such recent successes as the blockbuster first installment of “The Hunger Games” franchise, which has grossed nearly $700 million at the worldwide box office, “Cabin In The Woods,” “Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Witness Protection” and “Margin Call.” With the January 2012 acquisition of Summit Entertainment, the Company added the blockbuster “The Twilight Saga,” which has grossed more than $2.5 billion at the worldwide box office, to a slate that already included its “The Hunger Games” franchise and now has the two premier young adult franchises in the world. Recent Summit hits include “Red,” “Letters to Juliet,” “Knowing,” and the Academy Award-winning Best Picture, “The Hurt Locker.”

Lionsgate’s home entertainment business is an industry leader in box office-to-DVD and box office-to-VOD revenue conversion rate. Lionsgate handles a prestigious and prolific library of approximately 15,000 motion picture and television titles that is an important source of recurring revenue and serves as the foundation for the growth of the Company’s core businesses. The Lionsgate and Summit brands remain synonymous with original, daring, quality entertainment in markets around the world.

One Comment

  1. I don’t even know how I finished up here, but I thought this put up used to be great. I do not recognise who you might be but certainly you’re going to a well-known blogger for those who aren’t already. Cheers!