Hamptons International Film Festival 2012 Announces…

Posted by Rande Iaboni on September 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Hamptons International Film Festival 2012 Announces…

The 20th Hamptons International Film Festival has just announced their opening, centerpiece, and closing night films, and there is a lot to be excited about here.

‘Love, Marilyn’ will be the Opening Night film at Guild Hall in East Hampton on Thursday, October 4th. Director Liz Garbus’ documentary feature is a startlingly intimate and revealing portrait of arguably the most famous female actor ever to grace the silver screen. (If you can’t make it to the festival, HBO will air the film in 2013).

The Friday night Southampton opening is by far one of my most anticipated films of the Fall, David O. Russel’s ‘Silver Linings Playbook.’ It boasts an impressive cast of Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert De Niro, and Jackie Weaver. After a court-ordered stint at a psychiatric facility, Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), who is bipolar, moves back in with his parents (Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver) and tries to win back his estranged wife Nikki. Into his orbit flies Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), an equally volatile young widow who offers to help Pat get Nikki back…at a price. The film will be released by The Weinstein Company on November 21st, I expect a possible Oscar nod for Lawrence with this one.

The Centerpiece of the festival is another one of my most anticipated, Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo.’ Affleck directs and plays Tony Mendez, a CIA agent and “exfiltration” expert who devised a daring, unconventional plan to rescue six Americans hiding in the Canadian Embassy in Tehran during the 1979 Iran hostage crisis. The trailer looks phenomenal and its based on a gripping true story so I also expect some kind of Oscar buzz with this one. Warner Brothers will release the film nationally on October 12th.

And on Sunday, October 7th, the closing film of the festival will be ‘Not Fade Away,‘ directed by the creator of ‘The Sopranos.’ The film is about a moment in time in the Sixties when the Rolling Stones appear on television and three best friends from the suburbs of New Jersey decide to form a rock band.  The film reunites ‘Sopranos’ creator with star James Gandolfini. Paramount Pictures will release ‘Not Fade Away’ on December 21st.

What do you think of this lineup Banters? If you get a chance you should definitely check out the 20th Hamptons International Film Festival, kicking off October 4th until October 7th.