Hey James Cameron, Lay Off our Dinosaurs!

Posted by Alia Haddad on September 17, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hey James Cameron, Lay Off our Dinosaurs!

It’s monday!  And you know what that means? Another weekend has passed, another week will begin, more summer sunlight has departed, and legendary director James Cameron, most recently known for his Brave New World meets Fern Gully lackluster film, Avatar, has given yet another interview. Why? I suppose Cameron would answer with: “Why not?” Does he have any movies coming out this year? Good question, no he doesn’t. While he’s busy whittling away at the next installment of one of the most over-hyped movies (largely by Cameron himself) of this decade, Avatar 2 isn’t set to hit theaters until 2015. That’s right, 2015, making 2012 a touch bit early to start his press campaign.

And perhaps Cameron knows that, because he has been doing very little talking about his upcoming projects and much much more about past ones and ones that could have been. His latest talk? Oh you know, just that he had wanted to direct dinosaur (and really, all-around) classic, Jurassic Park. Cameron told the UK’s Huffington Post that he had tried very hard to get the rights for Michael Crichton’s beloved book, but missed out to Spielberg within a few hours. A James Cameron directed Jurassic Park?! Blasphemy!

Cameron does, however, go onto praise Spielberg’s version. He said, “But when I saw the film, I realised that I was not the right person to make the film, he was. Because he made a dinosaur movie for kids, and mine would have been ‘Aliens’ with dinosaurs, and that wouldn’t have been fair. Dinosaurs are for 8-year-olds. We can all enjoy it, too, but kids get dinosaurs and they should not have been excluded for that. His sensibility was right for that film, I’d have gone further, nastier, much nastier.”

Hmmm. Well, that seems nice right? Yeah, exactly, it seems like a nice statement, but it’s really a zinger cloaked in a compliment. Did Cameron watch the same Jurassic Park as I did?! While it is definitely a movie a family can watch together, Cameron seems to demolish the film by calling it one for children. This terrified me as a child and still does now upon my frequent re-viewings. I mean, there were raptors in the kitchen! This ain’t no Land Before Time, Cameron (although, there’s nothing wrong with that actual children’s classic). What Spielberg really did and what he should be praised for is making the dinosaur an accessible creature, one that was and still is simultaneously enjoyed by children and parents alike. What’s next Cameron? Are you going to talk about how you would have changed Deep Blue Sea?! And since we’re on this topic: Alien is totally scarier, darker, and all around better than Aliens. So there.

One Comment