Tim Burton: Back in Action

Posted by Alia Haddad on September 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

Tim Burton: Back in Action

Oh happy day! Not only is today my most beloved day of the week (I get giddy just thinking about all the possibilities this weekend might bring!), but also early reviews of Tim Burton’s upcoming black and white stop motion animation film, Frankenweenie, about a boy who brings his dog back to life, are in and they are good. Happy day, indeed!

Is it possible that legendary director who was once hailed for unique hits such as Beetlejuice, the live-action original Batman movie featuring Michael Keaton in the lead role, and Edward Scissorhands is now back from the good movie grave yard where he has promptly sat for the last eight years?! God, I hope so.

The beginning of Burton’s downfall seems to be marked by his decision to remake Planet of the Apes. While this decision isn’t necessarily a bad one in and of itself, his decision to cast Mark Wahlberg in the lead role once played by Charlton Heston certainly was. From there we have Big Fish, which, I’ll admit, I enjoyed at the time, but haven’t seen since, and then the not-terrible but not-good either films of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride. And then what? Things took a turn for the worse. For the much worse. Burton’s films seemed to get progressively bad from Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street on. After this remarkably bad musical, we were forcibly exposed to Alice in Wonderland and, most recently, the painful Dark Shadows. It was certainly a disappointing path.

But now! Now there is light because Frakenweenie, out October 5, which stemmed from a 1984 Burton short film of the same name, is supposed to be good. How good? Well? Word on the street is that it feels like a movie Burton would’ve made early on. Perhaps this is because the original idea did happen early on–made even before Beetlejuice. Even so, it doesn’t matter. What matters is the man who defined my childhood obsession with Winona Ryder is back! And let me just say, it’s about time.