Will You See Pitch Perfect?

Posted by Alia Haddad on September 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

Will You See Pitch Perfect?

Now, I make no secret about it: as much as I find myself not liking animated films, I find myself in similar situations with musicals. This is coming from the person who somehow seems to forget that every Muppets movie is a musical and therefore sits miserably watching these non-humans sing incredibly catchy tunes; from the person who found only disgust after watching Funny Face due to the very noticeable age difference between the two romantic leads, Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire; and from the person who watched Singing in the Rain and became annoyed that anyone was that peppy after talking “the whole night through.” While I do have an unending nostalgic love for The Sound of Music–more like Captain VonHot– I tend to write that off as a lasting connection between my grandmother and myself. Overall, however, I do not enjoy musicals. Not one little bit.

That being said, it surprises no one more than myself that I have this strange, strong desire to see Pitch Perfect, the Jason Moore musical about a sarcastic freshman (Anna Kendrick) in college who is coerced into joining its singing team after they get wind of her powerful voice. Now, I don’t understand this desire any more than you do. I mean, maybe I’m attracted to this film because the characters seem to have a reason for singing (as they battle in singing competitions a la The Sound of Music); or maybe I want to see it because Kendrick’s character seems to be a weird homage to Katarina Stratford (Julia Stiles) in 10 Things I Hate About You who I idolized (and, let’s be honest, still do) as a pre-teen; or maybe it’s because the film’s soundtrack was just released and we now know they will be belting out tunes from iconic 80s singers and groups like Madonna and B-52′s. The thing is is that it really doesn’t matter, because I know the film can credit at least one ticket stub to me.

And this is especially wild because the movie itself doesn’t look good. At all. Directed by a man that only has straggling episodes of Dawson’s Creek, One Tree Hill, Everwood, and Brothers and Sisters under his belt, Pitch Perfect is almost sure to follow a same faux-dramatic form. More than that, the movie boasts Anna Kendick and Brittany Snow in lead roles, talk about pep central. Oh, and also, it’s a movie made for the crowd that watches and loves Glee. All signs point to bad.

“And yet it moves.” And just as sure that the earth moves around the sun, I am just as sure I will see Pitch Perfect, good movie or not.

What say you, Banterers?