Disney NOT Buying Hasbro

Posted by Alia Haddad on November 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Disney NOT Buying Hasbro

It was a “will it, won’t it?” type of situation for about a day when rumors abounded about the strong possibility of Disney buying Hasbro, the company of our childhood responsible for all the best board games, board games turned movies like Clue, Battleship, Transformers, and G.I. Joe, and soon-to-be board games turned movies like Hungry Hungry Hippos and Monopoly. Why would Disney buy Hasbro? Well, first off, they are on a roll, having just bought Lucasfilm. And there seems to be no end to their “somebody stop me” like situation. Would they just keep on buying up all of the nostalgic property out there?! I mean is Lucasfilm, Pixar, and Marvel just not enough?! There was just no telling.

Well, there was just no telling until today, actually, when Hasbro has officially denied all of these buyout talks with one simple statement via CNBC analyst David Farber. Apparently there is “absolutely nothing going on that they are aware of at all, in any way, shape or form.” Ohhhh. Well, there you have it.

While it is now hard to put anything past Disney in terms of capitalist gain, Hasbro is (for now) not in their buying path. It seems like a wise decision, given just how bad G.I. Joe, Battleship, and the last two Transformers were. The way those are going Hungry Hungry Hippos and Monopoly can’t be that good, can they? And even if they are, Disney should just be content with the four billion dollar company it just bought and all the profits it will undoubtedly provide. Phew, dodged that bullet!