Does Star Wars: Episode VII Already Have a Writer?

Posted by Alia Haddad on November 9, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Does Star Wars: Episode VII Already Have a Writer?

Just last week, The Movie Banter‘s own Rande Iaboni reacted to the news of Disney buying Lucasfilm and the rights of all its franchises including the most popular (and not to mention lucrative) series of their collection, Star Wars, by offering his take on who should be cast in the sure-to-be upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII and asked us readers for our own opinions. Well, for all you disbelievers out there, this post hardly came too soon, as The Playlist is now reporting that Star Wars: Episode VII may already have a writer. An Oscar-winner writer.

Say what?! Well, apparently the writer in question is Michael Arndt, the man behind the popular scripts of Little Miss Sunshine (for which he won the Oscar) and Toy Story 3 (for which he was nominated for another Oscar). The story (ha) goes as follows: Arndt has written a 40-50 page treatment for the upcoming Star Wars trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII, and IX)– you know, just plotting out the plot and its twists– and is currently being considered to write the whole screenplay for the first installment of this third trilogy.

And what’s more?! Word on the street is that Arndt wrote the treatment BEFORE Disney bought Lucasfilm, which definitely appears a little fishy if only because of the strong ties Arndt already has with Disney. What ties? Oh, well in addition to working on the upcoming untitled Pixar movie that “takes you inside the mind” as well as Phineas and Ferb, he’s also on the Pixar Brain Trust team that is responsible for critiquing and breaking down all Pixar movies before they hit the public. Are you telling me it’s just a coincidence that this man was writing the treatment of the new Star Wars trilogy without knowledge of Disney’s invested interest?

Doesn’t seem so likely to me. But either way, the ball is definitely rolling, and soon we will have an answer to Iaboni’s casting questions. Stay tuned!