In Anticipation of Zero Dark Thirty

Posted by Alia Haddad on December 10, 2012 at 12:31 pm

In Anticipation of Zero Dark Thirty

Fair warning: I feel obliged to tell you, Movie Banter reading population, that this is an unusual post for this sight, as I’m sure all you regular readers will realize in a few minutes, this post is not dedicated to revealing news about the film or even a trailer or clip; instead this post is here to document my excitement for possibly the best movie of the season.

Do I have too high of hopes for Kathryn Bigelow’s follow-up film of The Hurt Locker, the 2010 hit (rightfully so) that secured Bigelow the spot the first female to ever win a Best Director Oscar? I guess it could be argued as such–I mean as soon as I saw that my actress love Jessica Chastain was not only in the movie, but was also boasting a lead role–I knew that I would stand by this movie no matter what. But, now it seems that everyone else is too.

What’s that? Well, Zero Dark Thirty and its director have not only won their respective best-of categories from the New York Film Critics Circle awards (as reported here), but they also took home the same awards from the National Board of Review and the Boston Society of Film Critics. Guys, I don’t mean to state the obvious, but this is big!

Naturally, these awards are precursors to the Oscars. Sure, they point to the relatively sure-fire nature of Zero Dark Thirty, Kathryn Bigelow, and even Jessica Chastain being nominated in each of their own categories, but there’s more. Nominations aside, do these awards and early reviews reveal that Zero Dark Thirty is going to be the front runner at the Oscars this year?!

God, I hope so. Ever since Bigelow tried her hand at the Iraq War and the men in America uniforms who are responsible for defusing bombs, I’ve been convinced of Bigelow’s supreme talent (as if Point Break wasn’t enough!). But now Zero Dark Thirty?! A movie chronicling the Navy S.E.A.L. Team 6 as it plotted to take down Osama Bin Laden? There’s no way that Bigelow could fail.

And fail she surely didn’t, if we believe all the reviews that are trickling in. So, do you? Will you join me on December 19 to see Bigelow hopefully make history again? I sure do hope so!