Is That Really You, Jared Leto?

Posted by Alia Haddad on December 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Is That Really You, Jared Leto?

By now most of you have surely seen the extreme transformation that Matthew McConaughey has undergone for his true-to-life role of a Texan electrician who is diagnosed with AIDS in the 1980s and subsequently pursues alternative medicine in order to treat himself in Jean-Marc Valle’s upcoming Dallas Buyers Club. Once McConaughey was a symbol of tanned, buff masculinity (as we view it today), but not-so-slowly he has whittled away, so much so that his body seemingly has nothing left to give.

And it hasn’t stopped there! Jared Leto who signed on to the Valle’s film only a month ago has been similarly transforming, taking a cue from his co-star. As Yahoo! reported Leto has not only lost a considerable amount of weight, which he also did when preparing for his role as a drug addict in Darren Aronofsky’s Requiem for a Dream, he has also taken to other measures to get fully into character: “I waxed my entire body, including my eyebrows…I’ve lost a lot of weight because I’m playing a young person with AIDS. It’s been challenging but really inspiring, too.”

Well, that certainly takes method acting to another level, even for Leto, who not only loses weight (and body hair) for his roles, but also isn’t opposed to gaining weight for his roles. How could any of us forget the 60 pounds he gained to play John Lennon’s murderer in Mark David Chapman’s Chapter 27?!

So, there you have it: two of Hollywood’s most desirable leading men have become hard on the eyes, quite literally, for the upcoming roles in the same film. Dallas Buyers Club, you better be good.