Spike Lee Has An Opinion: WhoDaThunk?

Posted by Alia Haddad on December 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

Spike Lee Has An Opinion: WhoDaThunk?

Whelp, it only makes sense I suppose that when a white man decides to make a movie dealing with race relations, that Spike Lee has something to say about it. I mean, come on guys, are any of you really surprised that Spike Lee has something to say about Quentin Tarantino’s Django Unchained? Especially when considering its blacksploitation ways?!

Well, if you are, you shouldn’t be. The man who boycotts films ranging from Clint Eastwood to Tyler Perry, it would be impossible to believe that Spike Lee isn’t an opinionated man. And what’s the latest thing on this opinionated man’s mind? Django Unchained and its blatant disrespectfulness.

While speaking to Vibe, Lee said, “I can’t speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it. I’m not seeing it. All I’m going to say is that it’s disrespectful to my ancestors, to see that film. That’s the only thing I’m gonna say. I can’t disrespect my ancestors. I can’t do it. Now, that’s me, I’m not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself.”

And then as if that wasn’t enough, he spoke on the subject from his Twitter account: “American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.”

We got it, Lee, you aren’t going to see the movie. But why, exactly? Because it’s disrespectful? I didn’t see it as such, though. It seemed to me to be a pretty clear redemption picture. Is it really that disrespectful for a white man to make a redemption/blacksploitation film when it comes across as simply an homage to it? I’m not so sure you can label something as such. But Lee has, and therefore refuses the see the film. How do you, Banterers, feel about the subject?

One Comment

  1. Spike has never been a fan of QT ever since QT used the ‘n’ word a lot in his early films.