The New York Film Critic Circle Awards Are In!

Posted by Alia Haddad on December 7, 2012 at 5:05 am

The New York Film Critic Circle Awards Are In!

Award season is finally here, starting with a bang! What’s that bang I’m talking about? The New York Film Critics Circle Awards, of course! Every year, the New York Film Critics Circle Award Winners are released, not only marking the official beginning of Award Season, but also bringing us one step closer to the most sacred award event, The Academy Awards.

Knowing the New York Film Critic Circle Award Winners allows us then to postulate the many awards to come in addition to setting the tone for the entire season. And let me assure you this season is going to be great!

And the winners are:

Best Picture: “Zero Dark Thirty”
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow, “Zero Dark Thirty”
Best Screenplay: Tony Kushner, “Lincoln”
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, “Lincoln”
Best Actress: Rachel Weisz, “The Deep Blue Sea”
Best Supporting Actor: Matthew McConaughey, “Bernie” and “Magic Mike”
Best Supporting Actress: Sally Field, “Lincoln”
Best Foreign Language Film: “Amour” (Michael Haneke)
Best Cinematography: Greig Fraser, “Zero Dark Thirty”
Best Nonfiction Film: “The Central Park Five” (Ken Burns, Sarah Burns)
Best First Feature: “How To Survive a Plague” (David France)
Best Animated Film: “Frankenweenie” (Tim Burton)

Well, there you have it. If this list has any indication over the future Oscar winners, then methinks Katheryn Bigelow is going to have a very big year. And while I have yet to see Zero Dark Thirty (December 19th cannot come soon enough!), I fully support this aim. I mean, did you all see The Hurt Locker?! The rest of the winners are less than surprises, save for Matthew McConaughey taking the best supporting actor category (I just knew I wouldn’t be the only person to think he was the best thing that came out of Magic Mike– I mean that Uncle Sam scene!).

Anyway, congratulations winners and, officially, let the games begin!