Is This Really It For Steven Soderbergh?

Posted by Alia Haddad on January 31, 2013 at 10:20 am

Is This Really It For Steven Soderbergh?

It’s not unusual to hear of self-imposed retirement from an entertainer. Whether it be the repeated retirements of Michael Jordan, the making-a-statement retirement of John Hughes, or the likely drug-fueled retirement of Amanda Bynes, I think it’s safe to say that we’ve seen it all. So while it sometimes come as a bit of a shock when someone new announces their untimely permanent hiatus with the “biz,” acceptance is always around the corner.

At least that was the case until Mr. Steven Soderbergh announced his own retirement from Hollywood. After a long episode of complete and utter denial (how can the man who made Magic Mike decide that that was all the Magic Mike we needed?!), I have come to tearfully accept that with his last two films completed–Side Effects with Rooney Mara, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Jude Law and Behind the Candelabra, which will actually premiere on HBO, with Michael Douglas and Matt Damon–the end is near my friends.

But just what does this end really mean? Well I’m glad you asked, because Mr. Soderbergh, himself, gave an interview to The Playlist recently explaining just what he meant by retirement. The highlights are as follows: “I think there’s a lot better chance, if I were to go back to work that it would be on television than in movies. I love the long form and most of the stuff I want to see is on TV right now.” Well that’s promising!

And then there was this: “There’s always going to be the added thing of, ‘Oh, he came back for that?’ I’m just saying I can’t imagine what [my next movie] would be but I also can’t imagine everything so I don’t know. Certainly it’s unlikely for a while because I really sort of cleared the decks and I’ve got some other stuff I want to do that’s coming up. I’m going to do this stageplay that Scott Z. Burns wrote, I’m going to try and do ‘Cleopatra’ on stage next year with Catherine [Zeta Jones]. There are projects that would be in the way even if I wanted to come back to filmmaking soon. But I’m not looking for that. I’m not hoping somebody sends me something. More often than not now when somebody says, ‘Can I send you [a project to read]?’ I say, ‘No. don’t.’”

Well, there you have it Banterers. It’s not everything, but at least it’s something, right?! Right.