Is Netflix Taking Over?

Posted by Alia Haddad on February 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Is Netflix Taking Over?

While Netflix did experience some trouble last year and the year before, it seems like as of late Netflix has been achieving nothing but net in the last few months. First, they announce that they will be responsible for airing the fourth season of the cult hit Arrested Development before it makes its movie debut. Then they premiere House of Cards, the political drama series adaptation starring Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, and Kate Mara (ever heard of them?), that is already a critical hit with a huge audience to boot.

And now? Well, now Netflix has just announced that they will be launching their first original children’s show, Turbo F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team). Well, that’s an interesting move. One that will undoubtedly increase their domain into the children’s market (as if their plethora of cartoons already didn’t guarantee a good majority of them). It becomes even more interesting when you continue reading the Deadline article which states that the show will be based on the upcoming DreamWorks animated movie, Turbo. Wow, well we heard about the possibility of a DreamWorks/Netflix collaboration two years ago, but I’m not sure anyone expected this to include original content. While this is a great move for Netflix, it makes me question DreamWorks a little. Straight to SVOD? Doesn’t that usually mean that they are expecting less of a movie crowd? Well, Turbo won’t premiere first on Netflix, only the show based on the movie. If anything, this is an excellent marketing plan that will secure even more of an audience for both corporations.

Geez, is there any stopping Netflix?! Apparently not. DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeff Katzenberg confirms, “They pioneered a new model for TV dramas with House Of Cards, and now together, we’re doing the same thing with kids’ programming. DreamWorks is thrilled to be part of the television revolution.” Well, I’ll be.

Netflix has already confirmed its status among both young and old (kinda hip) adults with Arrested Development and House of Cards, respectively. And now, with Turbo F.A.S.T., they will be solidifying their relationship with all the children in the world! I mean, maybe not ALL the children in the world– but surely most of them.

Check back here for updates on Netflix’s world domination.

One Comment