Top Five Movies to Watch During the Blizzard

Posted by Alia Haddad on February 8, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Top Five Movies to Watch During the Blizzard

If you are located anywhere in the North East, then surely by now you know about the impending torrential storm headed our way. And if you don’t, then what are you doing reading this site for?! Get yourself to Weather.com, or simply look outside.

But, for those in the know and on the East Coast (or for those who just want to partake in all the themed fun), please allow me to give you some–or five–suggestions on how to spend your time during the blizzard, which will undoubtedly be spent mostly indoors. So, without further ado, allow me to present the top five movies to watch during the blizzard:

1. The Day After Tomorrow

Roland Emmerich’s part-awful part-great 2004 cold-front disaster movie is a clear no-brainer for movies to watch. Why? Well, the movie involves a fast-moving (so fast!) cold front, escaped zoo animals, and the New York Public Library that acts as the only safe-haven in the city. This has affected my family so much that my father called at midnight last night to advise me to get the library immediately. I suggest you do the same.

2. Alive

What better a movie to watch during a snow storm than the Frank Marshall movie with Ethan Hawke and Josh Hamilton that documents the real-life story of how the Uruguayan rugby team that is stranded in the freezing Andes after a plane crash is forced to turn to cannibalism for survival? Nothing says blizzard without this gem, am I right?

3. Cool Runnings

God, I love Cool Runnings. I love it so much that I have, in my possession, three copies. I just don’t understand how I could not buy the Disney film that documents the (also) real-life story of Jamaica’s Olympic bobsledding team every time I lay my eyes on a copy. It has everything any movie watcher could want: laughs, Doug E. Doug, heart-felt emotion, love, John Candy, a Buckingham Palace reference, and ice, so much ice. To quote Sanka, “I’m going to take a hot bath, I’m getting cold just thinking about all that ice.”

4. Vertical Limit

I would be lying if I said I’ve only seen Martin Campbell’s Vertical Limit just once. Sure, it only takes one viewing to truly understand this simple, simple movie that tells the tale of a mountain climber (played by the forgotten, yet excellent Chris O’Donnell) who must rescue his sister who is trapped on one of the world’s biggest (and snowiest) mountains. But after watching it numerous times on HBO, I can positively recommend it for tonight. How many people could do that after watching it just once?

5. Snow Day

And it all comes down to one movie that shaped my post-adolescent childhood probably way more than it should have: the Nickelodeon movie Snow Day. Snow Day, which is pretty self-explanatory in that it tells the story of a snow day in upstate New York, is a perfect, light film to watch in this (hopefully light) storm. What more could you want during the storm than a teenage romance and Chevy Chase? Nothing, I say. Nothing.