The Incredible Case of Veronica Mars

Posted by Alia Haddad on March 14, 2013 at 3:51 pm

The Incredible Case of Veronica Mars

In this day and age, it is not all that surprising when a currently off-air (whether rightfully so or ortherwise) television series gets made into a movie at the audiences’ repeated requests, pleas, and on-knees begging. To be fair, I guess it wasn’t such a huge surprise when Sex and the City started this trend as of late, what with the movie versions of Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone, and The Lizzie McGuire Movie (What? That counts!). But recently there has been a developing trend among cult-classic television series that are widely understood to have been canceled too soon to really (REALLY!) come to be made into feature films. While Arrested Development seems to provide the most illustrative example of this case, the rumor mills are similarly running about the possibility of a Party Down movie (please let it be true!).

So, it’s really not that big of a shock when those same mills began to churn over the possibility of a Veronica Mars movie. What does stand out in the case of this film is just how much the fans were willing to do to see this movie get made. In case you missed it, yesterday Rob Thomas, the creator and producer of Veronica Mars announced that they got the go-ahead to start fundraising for a Veronica Mars movie. Not knowing where to start, he created a Kickstarter which give them a month to raise the $2 million they needed. And a whopping 12 hours later, they had reached it. In case this hasn’t hit you yet, in 12 hours, the people behind the Veronica Mars movie met their goal and raised more than two million dollars from fans. As I am writing now, a little more than 24 hours after the Kickstarter was announced, the project has $2.7 million pledged. Talk about a grass roots campaign.

Well, this is just incredible! First, a movie–with established actors and a blessing from a studio (Warner Brothers, ever heard of them?), uses Kickstarter as a means to raise money. We are living in a new age now. While most of us have surely been aware of Kickstarter for some time now, it has tended to be used as a way for friends to raise money for their shorts (at least in my case). The idea of a movie of this caliber using Kickstarter to raise funds is very novel and, not to mention, game-changing. Throw in the fact that it worked, and worked so quickly?! Me thinks the Veronica Mars movie may have just ushered us into a new age of big-movie fundraising.

Second, the fans! Oh my God, the fans! One person pledged $10,000. Ten thousand dollars! Sure, that gets you a speaking role in the movie, but incentive aside, that is A LOT of money coming from a fan. If fans can mobilize this much (two million dollars much) to get Veronica Mars made into a movie, what’s next?! A Mork and Mindy movie? A Pete and Pete movie? A Saved By the Bell: The College Years movie? I hope so!

3 Comments

  1. Well, I agree with what you wrote, but not with all of it. Regardless, it’s all beneficial material. Thanks!

  2. This web site certainly has all the info I needed about this subject and didn’t know who to ask.
    ROBOCOP HACK TOOL´s last blog post ..ROBOCOP HACK TOOL

  3. If you would like to grow your experience only keep visitinbg this web page and
    be updated with the most recent gossip powted here.
    spectacularfran96.jigsy.com´s last blog post ..spectacularfran96.jigsy.com