Will You Go See Jurassic Park in 3D?

Posted by Alia Haddad on March 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Will You Go See Jurassic Park in 3D?

If you’ve been to a movie theater in the past two months, then surely you won’t be surprised when I tell you that soon–so soon–Steven Spielberg’s original Jurassic Park will be released in 3D. It will hit theaters April 5, 2013, about a year after the powers that be announced that they were embarking on such an endeavor. I have been waiting ever since.

I think it’s safe for you all to assume that I will be lining up (probably not first, but surely on opening night) to see what I consider to be Spielberg’s best movie (after Jaws, of course) to date. While I am not a 3D lover at all–not only does it hurt my eyes (ah, the life of the contacts-wearer), I usually find it all around unnecessary. I know, call me crazy, but looking back on my viewings of Avatar and Toy Story 3, I don’t think the 3D element of the films changed my viewing experience all that much save for the headaches they induced.

But Jurassic Park is another story entirely. Spielberg broke cinematic ground with the supposed realism of his film. While you may point to that same argument to insist why Avatar must also be viewed in 3D, how it was intended, I’m sorry to say that during my viewing I was always aware of the “cinematic” in James Cameron’s cinematic world. On the other hand, Jurassic Park, to my knowledge, was never meant to be viewed in the third dimension. And yet it is the one movie that I believe definitely should. So engrossed am I in the world Spielberg created that I can hardly believe it when the movie comes to an end! I mean, there were raptors in the kitchen!

So, while I do not normally support the overuse of 3D, I do believe that some cases completely warrant it. And yes, I will be seeing Dial M for Murder in 3D later this month at Film Forum. Hooray for what-I-deem-proper-uses-of-3D. Will Jurassic Park 3D be on your must-see list?

One Comment

  1. Wonderful web site. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you on your sweat!