Chills Down My Spine: Jurassic Park

Posted by Alia Haddad on August 30, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Chills Down My Spine: Jurassic Park

Film Forum’s “Summer Festival of Fantasy, Horror, and Science Fiction,” has been treating me well. I can’t begin to tell you all how sad I am that I will have to miss Demon Seed tonight, but luckily I was able to catch the 1986 remake of The Fly. Why so lucky? Well, clearly after seeing the David Cronenberg classic remake of The Fly starring no other than Jeff Goldblum himself, I got to thinking about Goldblum. To be fair, it is not a rare occasion during which I think about Goldblum, but it was rare to have me thinking about him in the context of chills. You see, there is this one moment in The Fly where Goldblum is doing gymnastics (you would too if your body was slowly morphing into a fly) in his apartment and so many chills developed. Yes, he was topless which undoubtedly has something to do with the occurrence of chills all over my body, but also Goldblum himself is a chill-inducing dude.

Take, for example, the subject of this post: Jurassic Park. Goldblum is in that, he is similarly half naked much of the time (I wouldn’t have it any other way), and in one scene he even manages to beat the other contenders (dinosaurs, people!) for chill-causing! Which scene am I talking about ? Oh you know, the Jeff Goldblum is always right scene. Not ringing a bell? It’s the one in which he tells a group made up of Laura Dern, Sam Neill, Richard Attenborough, Martin Ferrero, and B.D. Wong that life will not be suppressed. God, I’m getting chills just writing about it.

Goldblum, true to form, delivers a very serious, exciting, and most important chill-inducing speech to the disbelieving group. Then a mere 20 minutes later, Goldblum gets to say a big ‘ol “I told you so.” Well done, Goldblum, well done. Watch the clip below.

YouTube Preview Image