Ricky Gervais’ David Brent Coming to the Big Screen?

Posted by Alia Haddad on August 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Ricky Gervais’ David Brent Coming to the Big Screen?

You know how there are some kinds of news that makes you believe in something greater than yourself? Now, I’m not necessarily talking about religion, but instead that sometimes you learn about something completely out of your control that seems to be done solely because of you? Well, to me, this feels exactly like one of those times.

After waking up and brushing my teeth this morning, just imagine my surprise when I opened up my computer to partake in my entertainment blog morning ritual and found to my utter delight that Ricky Gervais, the comedian behind the original The Office and Extras, is thinking seriously of bringing the original awkward boss, David Brent from the original and British, and putting him on the big screen, right where he deserves to be.

That’s right! According to The Hollywood Reporter,¬†Gervais has Brent on his mind. Inspired by his recent bout with Youtube, entitled “Learn Guitar with David Brent,” during which the viewer does indeed learn how to play guitar with David Brent (come on guys, keep up), Gervais is looking to take this evolving character and surround him with a plot. He told¬†THR he is hoping this, “will be the basis for a movie about Brent trying to make it in the music industry.” Sounds amazing, right?

Well, it is even more amazing after I learned that Gervais is trying to get a record deal for Brent’s musical material. Yes, the lines of definition are small and confusing, but I don’t hate this. In fact, I don’t hate anything that means we get more of Gervais’ David Brent in the future.

Well done.