Will Reality Bites Make the Reverse Commute?

Posted by Alia Haddad on August 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Will Reality Bites Make the Reverse Commute?

You know how there are a few movies out there that seemingly answer all the questions you might have about anything? In You’ve Got Mail, for example, Tom Hanks’ character, Joe Fox, has The Godfather (what–I unabashedly love all Meg Ryan romantic comedies, not movies in which she plays boxing coaches or tries to get her husband back after he is kidnapped by terrorists, but her romantic comedies, I love). Well, like Joe Fox turns to Francis Ford Coppola’s masterpiece for a constant flow of advice, I find myself constantly turning to the Ben Stiller-directed, Helen Childress-written 90s lovechild, Reality Bites, for my eternal question answerer. Is that person “retarded” (as stated so eloquently in the movie? Nah, he’s probably just rhyming. What’s the lowest form of employment I might seek out? Well, while I’d consider working at a Wienerschnitzel-like place, I’d never work at the Gap. And what about the popular show Melrose Place? Well, that was a really good show. You see, not one question went unanswered.

And so it is with great excitement that I tell you all that original grandmaster duo Stiller and Childress are re-teaming to bring their movie to the small screen (see how many tables they’re turning!). You’ve read correctly, the writer and director team are currently working on a Reality Bites pilot that will focus on all of Lelaina Pierce’s follies. What could be better? Well, it will continued to be set in my favorite of all film decades–the 1990s, a time when movies were just better. Hopefully setting the show in such a specific, beloved time period will help it realize that notion.

If the pilot gets picked up–and really, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be–it will air on NBC and will be produced in tag team style by Stiller’s production company, Red Hour Television, Universal Television, and Double Feature Films.

Here’s hoping the finished made-for-tv product is of a higher caliber than the ill-fated Clueless show.