The Hits of Telluride Film Festival

Posted by Alia Haddad on September 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm

The Hits of Telluride Film Festival

The passing of Labor Day Weekend means that while it may not be officially over until September 21st, our summer days have come and gone. With school starting, leaves changing colors, and air make-up turning from hot and humid to crisp and dry also comes a highly-anticipated movie season that are poised and primed for Awards season. The Telluride Film Festival, coming just before the Toronto Film Festival which begins with a bang on Sunday, is our first look at what hyped films might become our very own Oscar winners.

This year with a slate of biopics, suspenseful dramas, and race relation films, the Academy will have its worked cut out for them. Luckily, we are figuring out which films will be more on our radar over others. Just which films succeeded over all the others at Telluride? Well, Alexander Payne’s Nebraska, Steve McQueen’s (not that one) 12 Years a Slave, and Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity all received loud– and I mean loud–audience applause.

Nebraska is Payne’s next feature film after directing the Oscar-hungry The Descendants, which indeed did win a lot of awards. Starring Will Forte in a highly sought-after dramatic performance as the estranged son to Bruce Dern’s alcoholic father. Nebraska follows the pair on a road trip as the two set out to drive from Montana to Nebraska so that Dern’s character can collect on a Mega Sweepstakes Marketing win.

Another shot at the best of race relations category (next to this year’s The Butler and Fruitvale Station), 12 Years a Slave will surely beat out its competitors for the simple reason that it seems to combine the two qualities its competitors only inhabited separately: a stellar cast and substance, respectively. Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Benedict Cummberbatch , Sarah Paulson, Paul Giamatti, and Paul Dano, 12 Years a Slave tells the true tale of Solomon Northup, a free black man from the North, who was kidnapped and sold into slavery for 12 years. Sounds good right?

Fianlly, in the heart-pumping drama category we have Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity, which primarily stars only Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as two workers in Space who work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space. I have chills already.

So these three films are just a small sampling of what we have to look forward to this season. Color me excited.

One Comment

  1. Hello very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I am happy to find so many helpful information here within the post, we want develop extra techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .