Chills Down My Spine: 200 Cigarettes

Posted by Alia Haddad on December 31, 2013 at 10:45 am

Chills Down My Spine: 200 Cigarettes

Oh look at what we have here, a “Chills Down My Spine” column just in time for New Year’s Eve. What better to chill in the New Year than with the ultimate New Year’s Eve movie itself, 200 Cigarettes? Given the momentous day, it is only fitting that the Risa Bramon Garcia movie that stars  Ben Affleck, Jay Mohr, Casey Affleck, Paul Rudd, Elvis Costello,  Dave Chappelle, Courtney Love, Janeane Garofalo, Gabby Hoffman, Christina Ricci, and Kate Hudson (to name a few) is the topic of today’s column. While sure, I can see that 200 Cigarettes is not a go-to chill-inducing movie, it certainly is relevant for tonight, given that it’s about a bunch of New York City kids in the 80s looking for something to do on New Year’s Eve. With all their paths crossing (like Love Actually, but actually good– see what I did there?), 200 Cigarettes tells the tale of friendship, new loves, and most importantly, the inevitable shittiness of New Year’s Eve. What could be better? Well, how about an end-of-the-night house party where all the stars align for everyone? Oh, yeah, that could definitely be better.

And so here we are, with 200 Cigarettes needing to fill the “Chills Down My Spine” void. And what better way for it to be filled than with the morning after scene? Now, I’ve seen a lot of movies, but no morning after scene is quite like the portrait painted in 200 Cigarettes. It eloquently shows how the night ended– you know, which people went home together, which people fell in love, which people fell in lust. All very important stuff. Throw in the hostess missing out on the biggest surprise guest ever and you’ve got yourself a verifiable chill-worthy movie. And look at that, just in time for New Year’s Eve.
Watch the clip below, and enjoy ringing the new year in!